Saturday 4 April 2015

Valparaiso, via Pucon

Happy to have a break from cycling for a while, I spent a few days bussing north from Ushuaia to Valparaiso. I broke the journey with stops in Punta Arenas and Pucon. I started my cycling trip in Pucon  about in early January. During my absence, the nearby Villrica volcano erupted so it was interesting to see the volcano again post-eruption. Previously snow-covered, it was now naked and smoking...

The name "Valparaiso" conjures up visions of paradise in my mind. Well Valparaiso is certainly no paradise, but it is a cool place and I was happy to linger a bit longer there. It's a vibrant, chaotic and colourful port city that tumbles down steep hillsides to the Pacific. Numerous rickety old ascensors (funiculars) link the downtown commercial district with the residential areas on the hills. Colourful street art is everywhere to be seen and complements the decaying old buildings. Down at the seaside promenade, a colony of seals all jostling for position on an abandoned pier was ready-made entertainment. Easily my favourite city in Chile!

Volcan Villarica, 2860 m, at sunrise. 

Some impressions of Valparaiso (2nd & 3rd photos with a filter). 

And I thought Wellington was hilly!

Old school wheels. 

Ancient electic trolleybuses still cruise the streets. 

One of Valparaiso's many ascensors. 

Happies are in the hills. 

A great little cafe up in the hills. 

A dog with heterochromatic eyes.

Anyone got a good translation for this?

Just a doorway, but a nice one. 

The busy market beside my hostel. 

The abandoned pier with birds on the upper deck...

...and sunbathing seals on the lower deck. 

The view towards Vina del Mar at sunset.

And some of Valparaiso's vibrant street art...










No comments:

Post a Comment